9 Replies LAST POST: Aug 28, 2012 8:21 PM by RocknRun15 Override: None

Sprint Vs High Speed Run vs Run

Hi!

Just wondering what the speed_cell defines as a Sprint or High Speed Run etc

Whats the criteria?

Thanks

• |
  • Re: Sprint Vs High Speed Run vs Run

Yeah imminterested in sprints too. I vary from 1-8 when playing football, and don't know if it requires a certain distance to be a sprint , which I may be struggling to get on a 7 aside pitch

• |
    • |

I am also interested in knowing this as in indoor football I only see about 3-5 sprints in 1 hour games (I've been playing as a defence). I was thinking it might be calculated when you attain a certain speed.

• |
    • |

Hi guys!

Thanks for the posts.

This is a very interesting question. I will share it with our coaches so they can give me an accurate definition on how the sprints and high-speed runs are defined when using the SPEED_CELL. As soon as they pass me more information about it, I will share it with you

Cheers!

MissTennis1

Your miCoach Team

• |
    • |

While asking I want to know if a sprint is different for different ages.  I think I am sprinting often in my games as center mid but I am 13 years old?  Is it able to tell my age or leg span or speed is slower than if an adult sprinted.

I am also not getting in the red zone (sprint zone) as much as I feel I am on the pitch,

Hi guys!

I received feedback from the coaches. This is what they mentioned:

"SPEED_CELL miCoach Zones are miCoach Zones, regardless of the sport or user.   A user has the same zones for the SPEED_CELL as for any other part of miCoach.  A Red zone is a Red zone for any sport and the high intensity run can be located in here.  The difference from one user to another is that some zones are more important to a user based on the sport interests.

How we register a sprint on the app takes into account that a sprint is not always when you reach a max speed. It includes an acceleration of a user for a specified pace value above the top of green. For example when a user accelerates from green to yellow it is registered as a sprint. This may seem like a slower pace but in reality every time you sprint you don't reach a max speed".

I hope this makes clear the difference about the sprints and the high intensity run.

@Henry Whitlock The SPEED_CELL does take into consideration your age, sex, height and weight to calculate  but the device at such does not tell it by itself. You have to set up this settings in the webpage. To do this please go to the scroll menu where your screen name is located and click under Settings>Training and then you will be able to see your training profile.

Cheers!

MissTennis1

Your miCoach Team

• |
    • |

Thanks for some really interesting information.  I have just bought the speed cell and using it for my semi professional soccer games.

Could I ask the question: Does the mi Coach have specific fixed speed zones where specific speeds reached in the fixed thresholds are recorded as "jog" "run" "high speed run" and "sprint"?

I know that pro zone and GPS systems use typical speed zones of:

Running (14.4–19.7 km/h),

High-speed running (19.8–25.1 km/h)

Sprinting (>25.1 km   h).

Also, are these speeds recorded from stride calculation or from a GPS satellite?

Many thanks

PS if there are any studies or information regarding the reliability and validity of the speed cell it would be great if you could post a link up where we can read them.

Hi chopsconall!

Thanks for your post. This is a very interesting question.

miCoach Football have default fixed zones where you could locate the "jog", "run", "high speed run" and "sprint" however this are not speed zones at such but rather pace zones and the speed is calculated from there like the next image shows:

zones.PNG

In this case, the zones are generic and based in gender and age. The default is a percentage of max. speed.

When you  finish a workout (i.e. running or football game/ practice) and miCoach detects a new max. speed; then miCoach will update your Red and Yellow zones based on that new max. speed.

Then, the top of the Red Zone should be set to be the new max. speed in the website. Therefore, they will modify according to your body and the efforts you are able to do while playing once you sync your data.

In that case, "Jog" will be placed on the Blue Zone, "Run" in the Green Zone, "High Speed Run" in the Yellow and the "Sprint" will be considered in the Yellow and Red Zones  because 'accelerating' into yellow is a 'sprinting' effort even though you may not get to red due to a change in direction common in a game situation. Take a look at this link, here you can see how the zones and the speeds reached look like: http://bit.ly/xG3PRA

Thus, the speeds will be recorded from stride calculation and not from GPS since it is not integrated in the SPEED_CELL and neither on the surface where you are playing/training.

Finally, I would like to invite you to read our Blog, there you will find a lot of information about the zones, the SPEED_CELL and another topics that are relevant for training http://community-micoach.adidas.com/community/en/blog

I hope this helps!

MissTennis1

Your miCoach Team

• |
        • |

Hi!

I've been reading this whole thread and I have learned a lot. However, I still have some questions:

1. Can the data calculated by the miCoach mobile app (Nokia phone) be classified as a sprint or high intensity run, or do you need a pacer or a SPEED_CELL?
          2. I've ran some yellow and red zones during my runs (although it was not a part of my plan for that day), but in my records there still are no high intensity runs nor sprints recorded. Why is that so?

I'm looking forward to your answer! Thanks in advance!

• |
          • |

Hi ddado,

Glad that you are getting a lot of good information from this thread!  I hope to answer your additional questions.

1- The miCoach mobile app does not currently give stats on number of sprints or total time of high intensity running in the same way  like in this SPEED_CELL workout breakdown:  http://bit.ly/xG3PRA

The mobile coaching app and the Pacer have the same workout breakdown, in a chart form like this: 

Example_webWorkoutSummary_HR n Speed.PNG

Even though you don't have a breakdown on number of sprints, you can still analyze where the fastest part(s) of your workouts are.  Here in the chart above, you'll see an Overlay showing Speed.  With the Nokia, you'll be able to see both Pace and Speed. 

2- Yes, there are no high intensity areas or number of sprints for the reasons explained above.  If you decide to get the SPEED_CELL with the PC CONNECT, then you could use it alone, simultaneously during your miCoach mobile workouts.  Then after your workout, you would sync both coaching app and sync the SPEED_CELL to your PC.  This would then give you two different breakdowns of the same workout, including all the speed and intensity stats you want from the SPEED_CELL... so best of both worlds. 

I hope this helps you out!

cheers,

RocknRun15

• |
            • |