I am currently weighing up getting a Garmin Vs miCoach.
I have found great, accurate data easily about what Garmin watches can do (pretty much everything), but I love the 'live' coaching aspect of the miCaoch. I tend to slow down half way through a run and I would love a gentle nudge in my ear telling me to get back on track.
The only problem is that I am really struggling to find succinct accurate information about the miCoach, which is a shame. I am particularly interested in tracking distance and speed. At present I use Nike+ and it is all over the shop. The same course on different days will measure up to 1.2km differently (this is only over 12.5km so that's a MASSIVE difference and renders it effectively useless in my opinion).
When I called at Adidas store (Doncaster, VIC) and spoke with staff yesterday, they told me that YES there was a GPS built into the Speed Cell. Yet, by the look of these forums and some of the content here, there isn't one.
I will be VERY grateful if someone could tell me please:
1. How accurate is the miCoach for tracking speed and distance? (I've heard 97% but based on what - stride?)
2. Is there a built-in GPS? If not, how is the distance and speed calculated? (If it's based on what my stride is during a set test, then this won't work. My stride changes like the weather)
3. Can I use this with a normal iPod Nano.. Will I still get audio prompts? (I have no intention of running with my iPhone)
4. Can I sync allo this info with my computer even if I don't have a Mac?
5. If I wanted to do all of the below, which combination of bits and pieces of the miCoach should I get? (ie: miCoach pacer? stride seonsor? Speed cell?)
-Track distance accurately
-Receive audio prompts
-Listen to my music
-Use my Nano to provide that music
-Track Heart Rate
-Sync info to the web/my computer/somewhere
-Access training plans and track progress towards a certain goal (say train for first half marathon)
Sweaty high-fives and PBs in advance for you help!
Welcome to miCoach. Many good questions here, so let's go over them .
1. miCoach is based on stride rate and heart beats when training for cardio (it measures the speed and distance with a Stride Sensor), I want to share with you this link with a very useful thread where a couple of our most experienced users and members of the Forum (Frank and Willem) share their experience and knowledge about how they have tested the accuracy of miCoach and the results: http://community-micoach.adidas.com/message/44486#44486
2. The devices (Pacer and SPEED_CELL) do not have a built-in GPS. The GPS is used as a complement. There are two ways to use it: if you go for the mobile App with your smarthphone, you can track the route and then add it to your workout. Another one is that if you don't go for the mobile App, you can add a route once your data is uploaded to the website. Just click on Add Route in the screen that shows your results and create one. Then you can compare the accuracy with the results of the Stride Sensor and if you know for sure how many km your route has, you can use those results to calibrate your Stride Sensor and get more accuracy.
3. Depends on what you want to use it with. The App is only supported by iPhone/iPod as well as the CONNECT of the SPEED_CELL, so if you want to use you iPod nano, it would be to listen music on it and it will work like that if you decide to get a Pacer.
4. Yes! Absolutely, if you decide to choose a device that syncs with the computer it does not matter if you do not have a Mac. Windows is supported in all versions (XP, Vista, 7).
5. With all of these characteristics, I will definitely suggest to go for the Pacer, since it is the one who fulfil better all your requirements. I want to share with you this video that shows how the Pacer works: http://vimeopro.com/micoach/tutorial/video/29416984
I hope this helps and if you have further questions, just throw us a reply
Your miCoach Team
Thanks for getting back to me MissTennis1.
I will review the links that you have sent through and see if this covers what I am looking for.
The number of cubes within your status image is determined by your activity on the miCoach support website. These activities include (in order of importance):
To speak to a member of our support team or to log a ticket please visit http://community-micoach.adidas.com/community/support/en/help/contact-us