By Jason Dougherty, Athletes’ Performance
No equipment? No problem. Harness the power of your own body weight. It gives you the freedom to exercise on the go and offers a variety of other benefits, regardless of whether you’re a beginner or a pro. Here are a few of the key benefits of training without equipment:
- Awareness. Training using your body weight as resistance can heighten your awareness of how your body moves, its range of motion, and your movement patterns. Use these workouts to improve your posture and movements and focus on mobility and stability.
- Convenience. Whether you’re traveling, pressed for time, or don’t have access to a gym, training with your body weight allows you to fit in an effective workout anywhere.
- Efficiency. Eliminating the need to change equipment or move between machines makes it easier to go from one exercise to the next in less time. This swift exercise style provides a new challenge to muscular and cardiovascular strength and endurance.
- Flexibility. The variety of exercises that use body weight are endless and can be combined to create short or long workouts. These exercises can also be modified to fit anyone’s fitness level from beginner to pro.
- Fun! Mixing up your workouts keeps training fun. Use your creativity to build your own workouts. Not only can breaking up your routine help you fight back against exercise slumps, it can also keep you motivated.
- Scenery. Training without equipment allows you to go the park or out in your yard for a change of scenery and some fresh air.
Start training using your body weight with miCoach non-equipment workouts, which you'll find under Men's and Women's Training areas.